Connect with us

Entertainment

A judge dismissed Richard Williams’ divorce filing, leaving the 81-year-old father of Venus and Serena still married to former stripper Lakeisha

Published

on

Serena and Venus Williams dad, Richard Williams, remains married to third wife, Lakeisha, after judge dismisses the case.

A Florida judge has reportedly dismissed the divorce case between Serena and Venus Williams’ father, Richard Williams, and his third wife, Lakeisha Graham Williams.

Although previous health complications made it difficult for him to attend hearings and testify, the court now finds him competent to take part in such proceedings, the US Sun newspaper reported this week. Now, one member of the family says that when the tennis legend often known as “King Richard” failed to appear in court recently, Judge James Martz dismissed his case.

Serena and Venus Williams' father, Richard Williams, remains married to his third wife, Lakeisha, after a judge dismissed the case.
Serena and Venus Williams’ father, Richard Williams, stays married to his third wife, Lakeisha, after a judge dismissed their divorce case. (Photo: Jim McIsaac/Getty Images; Emma McIntyre/Getty Images)

The 81-year-old’s son, Chavoit LeSane, told The Sun that his father was too afraid to appear before a judge and had turn out to be wary of the lengthy process of ending his marriage.

“Because of these strokes and so on, he is simply afraid of court procedures” – brother of two of the best tennis players in history he said to the sun. “He was supposed to appear in court but he didn’t show up. I’m not sure of the exact date, but we had to turn it down.”

“It wasn’t just court,” LeSane added. “He was supposed to appear for testimony. I had to talk to a lawyer and say, “He’s not going to make it.” It was scary.”

“He didn’t realize he had to go to court. He said, “Give me a week to prepare for it.” But the lawyer couldn’t get a week. And he hates being pressured. The last attorney determined he was unfit to stand trial, and that was seven years ago,” LeSane explained.

Lakeisha Williams’ attorney had a distinct explanation for the dismissal, making the same point:

“On April 30, 2024, Richard Williams’ attorney prepared an Agreed Motion and Order Dismissing the Petition for Dissolution of Marriage.

“All parties – Richard Williams and Lakeshia Williams – and their attorneys executed an Agreed Motion to Dismiss, and the judge entered and executed an Agreed Order dismissing the dissolution of marriage proceedings pending in Palm Beach County.”

In 2010, Williams married Lakeisha Graham, now 45, a food market owner. He was 69 years old then. Seven years later, he filed for divorce in May 2017. Since then, their separation has turn out to be very public and messy, rocked by accusations resembling Lakeisha forging Williams’ signature on a notarial deed and transferring their shared Palm Beach home solely into her name.

She was also accused of stealing his Social Security checks and told the judge that Williams’ daughter, Serena, allegedly had lawyers send her a letter threatening to “change the locks” if she didn’t evacuate the property.

Lakeisha reportedly pleaded guilty in 2020 to forging her ex-husband’s signature and selling his 1999 Bluebird Wanderlodge Motor Coach value $45,000. She also claimed that she did it because he abandoned her and their son Dylan, stating that “Williams didn’t even give her any money for it and that her baby was supposed to buy food and she had to do it to survive.”

She later asserted that she and Williams reconciled three years after their separation and resumed their sexual relationship while he filed a million-dollar lawsuit against his ex-wife.

The former stripper stated in court documents: According to to the Daily Mail: “What really devastated me was my husband (who) didn’t help me. It was my son and I didn’t get any money, so I had to sell it so I could eat and my son could eat… We had nothing.”

However, Williams and his legal team disputed Lakeisha’s claims, stating that she fabricated stories about their romantic involvement and that her son was not eating.

Bills weren’t being paid, and in 2022 their $1.45 million home, which Williams bought in 1995 for $355,000 after the family moved from Compton, was scheduled to be auctioned. However, Lakeisha held up the sale by filing for Chapter 13 bankruptcy thrice.

The bankruptcy case was dismissed on July 5, and Florida mortgage lender David Simon told the court that while he did not have the money to repay the mortgage, he did have it for other purposes.

“She cannot afford to pay $11,000 a month,” Simon said in court documents, adding that Lakeisha “spends all of her income on fast food and frivolities.”

She finally filed a motion to have it reinstated. Lakeisha told the court that funds had been secured for her through a repayment plan – although she was also scuffling with this.

Williams, although scuffling with neuralgia and at one point considering he had dementia, desperately wanted to end his marriage. He also had speech problems, which affected his son.

“He wanted me to coach him because when he says yes, sometimes he means no, and when he says no, he means yes.” He would never want his words to be misunderstood. That was the problem,” LeSane said.

Richard was previously married to his first wife from 1965 to 1973. He was married to Serena and Venus’ mom, Oracene, from 1980 to 2002.


This article was originally published on : atlantablackstar.com
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Entertainment

NBA draft prospect Terrence Shannon Jr. found not guilty of rape

Published

on

By

Former Illinois standout Terrence Shannon Jr., a possible first-round NBA draft prospect, was found not guilty on a rape charge Thursday after a jury in Douglas County, Kansas, spent lower than two hours reaching a verdict.

Shannon, 23, was accused of committing sexual assault last September while visiting Kansas for a football game between the Illini and Jayhawks. He was charged with rape or an alternate count of sexual battery, which led to a six-game suspension; a federal judge later reinstated him, finding his civil rights had been violated.

Shannon testified that on September 8, 2023, he joined two roommates and several other Kansas players at a bar, but only had just a few drinks and remembered every thing that happened that night. Shannon said he didn’t learn concerning the rape accusation until weeks later and that he never saw the 18-year-old woman accusing him until the case began.

The woman told police she was on the bar when a person she later identified as Shannon grabbed her buttocks and reached under her skirt to the touch her. The woman claimed the bar was crowded and she or he couldn’t move.

Shannon testified that a lady near him had been raped and he would never treat one other woman the identical way.

University of Illinois basketball standout Terrence Shannon Jr. demonstrates his wingspan while testifying during his rape trial, Thursday, June 13, 2024, in Lawrence, Kan. (Chris Conde/The Lawrence Journal-World via AP)

Shannon’s lawyers called the allegations a “blind prosecution” and questioned the lady’s motives. They also criticized Douglas County prosecutors for his or her lack of evidence and Detective Lawrence for the thoroughness of the investigation.

Many scouts were closely monitoring the matter ahead of the NBA draft, scheduled for June 26-27.

The 6-foot-7 Shannon, who can play as some extent guard and shooting guard, played five seasons at Illinois. He was at his best last season, averaging 23 points for a team that reached the Elite Eight before losing to eventual national champion UConn.

Shannon was named first-team All-Big Ten and third-team All-American by The Associated Press.

Featured Stories

This article was originally published on : thegrio.com
Continue Reading

Entertainment

Jodie Turner-Smith shares shocking reaction to Lupita Nyong’o’s public date with Turner-Smith’s ex Joshua Jackson, a month after she filed for divorce

Published

on

By

Jodie Turner-Smith, who split from actor Joshua Jackson after 4 years of marriage, recently shared her thoughts on the “Dawson’s Creek” alum’s budding romance with Lupita Nyong’o.

Turner-Smith, who filed for divorce from Jackson in September 2023, citing irreconcilable differences, says Cut that the couple split up as a results of them going “different paths,” but Jackson didn’t stay single for long. On October 18, Jackson was seen chilling with Lupita Nyong’o on the Janelle Monáe concert in Inglewood, California. The next day, Nyong’o announced on Instagram that she and her boyfriend, former ESPN commentator Selema Masekela, had broken up. Since then, Nyong’o and the “Queen & Slim” star’s estranged husband have been seen in public quite a few times.

After announcing their split, Nyong’o received an outpouring of support from fans and celebrities. Among the thoughtful messages was a comment by Marlon Wayans that read: “Trust God. He wants better for you. All lessons are a blessing, especially the painful ones. This too shall pass. The warmest of hugs. Be kind to yourself as you heal.”

He continued: “Every time I break up, I say, ‘I’m lucky, I CAN love again. I missed you. Make love, woman.

Jodie Turner Smith reacts to Lupita Nyong'o dating her ex-husband Joshua Jackson
Jodie Turner-Smith (right) recently had a surprising reaction to Lupita Nyong’o and Turner-Smith’s former partner Joshua Jackson emerging as a couple (left) a month after Turner-Smith filed for divorce last September. (Photos: @lupitanyongo/Instagram, @vancityjax/Instagram)

However, while stars like Wayans, Gabrielle Union, Ava DuVernay and Niecy Nash rallied behind Nyong’o, Turner-Smith remained relatively quiet about her personal life for essentially the most part. During a recent sit-down with The Cut, the actress was asked if she found it “weird” that her estranged husband was so quick to go public on a date.

“They were fine,” she said of her ex-husband dating Nyong’o. “We need happiness to co-parent peacefully. I’m trying to get us to the level of Gwyneth and Chris Martin. I really hope they are happy and that it benefits us as a family.”

As the primary couple navigates motherhood to their 4-year-old daughter, Juno, Turner-Smith said she’s willing to take steps forward to ensure her baby’s comfort.

“I just have to do everything I can to make sure Juno wins,” she emphasized, “and can peacefully co-parent with someone I once loved very, very much.”

This is not the primary time Turner-Smith has spoken out about her divorce. As she said in February 2024 interview with The Sunday Times Style magazine: “Sometimes the things we really want to work on just don’t work, and that’s okay.”

“The most important thing is that you choose what is healthiest for you and your family, and certainly for your children,” she continued.

The actress added: “The bravest thing in the world is to recognize when something isn’t working and take action. I always want to set this example for my daughter. The most important takeaway is that it’s about as much love and joy as ever. It’s just about taking a step forward towards a better life for everyone involved.”

As for Nyong’o, it looks like her recent relationship with Jackson continues to be going strong. They were each seen PDA packing in March in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, celebrating his birthday.

This article was originally published on : atlantablackstar.com
Continue Reading

Entertainment

Sean “Diddy” Combs returns the key to New York

Published

on

By

NEW YORK (AP) – Sean “Diddy” Combs turned in his key to New York City at the request of Mayor Eric Adams in response to the release of a video showing the music mogul attacking R&B singer Cassie, officials said Saturday.

The mayor’s office said Combs returned the key after Adams sent letters to the musician’s offices in New York and California on June 4, canceling the key and asking for it to be sent back to City Hall. The city received the key on June 10.

In his letter, Adams said he was “deeply concerned” by the attack, adding: “I strongly condemn these actions and stand in solidarity with all victims of domestic and gender-based violence.”

Combs’ profession was interrupted by multiple sexual abuse allegations, in addition to a federal sex trafficking investigation that led to raids on Combs’ residences in Los Angeles and Miami.

In May, CNN aired surveillance video showing Combs attacking Cassie in a Los Angeles hotel hallway in 2016. Combs said he was “truly sorry” for the attack on Cassie and called his actions “inexcusable.” Cassie, whose legal name is Cassandra Ventura, sued Combs last yr, setting off a wave of increased scrutiny of Combs. The case was settled the day after it was filed.

This photo provided by the New York City Mayor’s Office shows Mayor Eric Adams (left) presenting the Key to the City to hip-hop artist Sean “Diddy” Combs in New York City’s Times Square, Friday, September 15, 2023. (New York City Mayor’s Office/Caroline Rubinstein-Willis via via AP)

Adams presented Combs with the key during last yr’s ceremony, which coincided with the release of the latest album.

This month, Howard University rescinded an honorary doctorate degree awarded to Combs and ended a scholarship program named after him after the release of a video featuring Cassie.

Combs, founding father of Bad Boy Records, is considered one of the most influential hip-hop producers and executives of the last thirty years, turning musical success right into a business empire.

An email sent to a Combs representative listed online was not immediately returned.

Featured Stories

This article was originally published on : thegrio.com
Continue Reading
Advertisement

OUR NEWSLETTER

Subscribe Us To Receive Our Latest News Directly In Your Inbox!

We don’t spam! Read our privacy policy for more info.

Trending