Connect with us

Entertainment

Lewis Hamilton pays heartfelt tribute to England’s first black gardener, but ignorant racists can’t handle it

Published

on

NEW YORK, NEW YORK - MAY 06: Lewis Hamilton attends The 2024 Met Gala Celebrating

It looks as if each time Lewis Hamilton does anything for the culture, it triggers a wave of racism. His performance at this 12 months’s Met Gala was no different.

On May 6, the annual Met Gala took place in New York, with the long-awaited theme of “Sleeping Beauties: Fashion Awakening.” Hamilton’s outfit for the evening was designed by Burberry and inspired by the work of an 18th-century gardener, which fit perfectly into the “Garden of Time” gala dress code.

NEW YORK, NEW YORK – MAY 06: Lewis Hamilton attends the 2024 Met Gala celebrating "Sleeping Beauties: The Awakening of Fashion" at the Metropolitan Museum of Art on May 6, 2024 in New York City.  (Photo by Theo Wargo/GA/The Hollywood Reporter via Getty Images)
Lewis Hamilton attends the 2024 Met Gala celebrating “Sleeping Beauty: Awakening Fashion” on the Metropolitan Museum of Art on May 6 in New York City. (Photo by Theo Wargo/GA/The Hollywood Reporter via Getty Images)

The Formula 1 star pondered long and hard about his outfit for the evening, telling Vogue: “I did a lot of research and came across an 18th century gardener who came from Africa to Wales during slavery and became the first black gardener in Wales. And so, despite the odds, we truly triumphed. So that’s really where we get our inspiration from.”

Hamilton accessorized with an attention-grabbing spiked necklace, which he believed symbolized the pain the black community had to endure during times of enslavement.

“I like that the thorns are meant to show pain during the times of the slavery trade,” he added.

Inside the jacket was a poem by the black English poet Alex Wharton.

Hamilton’s appearance is supposedly a nod to John Ystumllyn, considered considered one of the first known black gardeners in Britain and the first well-known black resident of North Wales. It is believed that he got here to the Ystumllyn estate as a captive.

The one-of-a-kind, hand-embroidered Hamilton set took several weeks to create.

But Hamilton’s tribute was met with some controversy.

“What a clown, the most privileged attention in the world.” one person wrote on X

“Lewis can’t do much without being an insufferable racist, it’s true,” one other X user he wrote.

Another person raised the difficulty of Hamilton’s biracial heritage: saying“His mom must be very disappointed in the fact that the guy completely ignores the fact that he is half-white. But do we expect something different from a PR salesman?”

“He always acts like he’s not half white. his ancestors were partially responsible for black slavery. makes my blood boil,” added one other commenter.

Hamilton plays a predominantly white sport and has previously spoken out concerning the racism he faced on his way to the highest of Formula One.

“I heard racist insults being called” – after which – said 12-year-old Hamilton when he talked about his experiences as considered one of the few black people in the game when he first began racing. “When it first happened I felt really upset, I told my mum and pop and felt like I had to get back at them. But these days, if someone says something to me, I just ignore them and get back on course.

In 2020, Hamilton, who currently drives for Mercedes, got here under fire from the German company past interests have been examined.

“Lewis Hamilton. You are funny. He preached against slavery while being paid by a German slave trading company during World War II. What an idiot” – User X wrote in 2020.

Little did his critics know that in a couple of short years Hamilton would make the shocking announcement that he would go away for Ferrari in 2025 after 11 years at Mercedes.

Seven-time winner of the Drivers’ Championship announced the change in February.

“I have spent an incredible 11 years with this team (Mercedes) and I am very proud of what we have achieved together,” Hamilton said. “Mercedes has been a part of my life since I used to be 13 years old. This is where I grew up, so the choice to leave was considered one of the toughest I’ve ever had to make. But the time is true for me to take this step and I’m excited to tackle this latest challenge.

He continued: “I will likely be perpetually grateful for the incredible support of my Mercedes family, especially (Mercedes team principal) Toto (Wolff) for his friendship and leadership. I would like to finish the race on a high together. I’m 100% committed to delivering my best performance this season and making my final 12 months with the Silver Arrows a memorable one.


This article was originally published on : atlantablackstar.com
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Entertainment

NBA draft prospect Terrence Shannon Jr. found not guilty of rape

Published

on

By

Former Illinois standout Terrence Shannon Jr., a possible first-round NBA draft prospect, was found not guilty on a rape charge Thursday after a jury in Douglas County, Kansas, spent lower than two hours reaching a verdict.

Shannon, 23, was accused of committing sexual assault last September while visiting Kansas for a football game between the Illini and Jayhawks. He was charged with rape or an alternate count of sexual battery, which led to a six-game suspension; a federal judge later reinstated him, finding his civil rights had been violated.

Shannon testified that on September 8, 2023, he joined two roommates and several other Kansas players at a bar, but only had just a few drinks and remembered every thing that happened that night. Shannon said he didn’t learn concerning the rape accusation until weeks later and that he never saw the 18-year-old woman accusing him until the case began.

The woman told police she was on the bar when a person she later identified as Shannon grabbed her buttocks and reached under her skirt to the touch her. The woman claimed the bar was crowded and she or he couldn’t move.

Shannon testified that a lady near him had been raped and he would never treat one other woman the identical way.

University of Illinois basketball standout Terrence Shannon Jr. demonstrates his wingspan while testifying during his rape trial, Thursday, June 13, 2024, in Lawrence, Kan. (Chris Conde/The Lawrence Journal-World via AP)

Shannon’s lawyers called the allegations a “blind prosecution” and questioned the lady’s motives. They also criticized Douglas County prosecutors for his or her lack of evidence and Detective Lawrence for the thoroughness of the investigation.

Many scouts were closely monitoring the matter ahead of the NBA draft, scheduled for June 26-27.

The 6-foot-7 Shannon, who can play as some extent guard and shooting guard, played five seasons at Illinois. He was at his best last season, averaging 23 points for a team that reached the Elite Eight before losing to eventual national champion UConn.

Shannon was named first-team All-Big Ten and third-team All-American by The Associated Press.

Featured Stories

This article was originally published on : thegrio.com
Continue Reading

Entertainment

Jodie Turner-Smith shares shocking reaction to Lupita Nyong’o’s public date with Turner-Smith’s ex Joshua Jackson, a month after she filed for divorce

Published

on

By

Jodie Turner-Smith, who split from actor Joshua Jackson after 4 years of marriage, recently shared her thoughts on the “Dawson’s Creek” alum’s budding romance with Lupita Nyong’o.

Turner-Smith, who filed for divorce from Jackson in September 2023, citing irreconcilable differences, says Cut that the couple split up as a results of them going “different paths,” but Jackson didn’t stay single for long. On October 18, Jackson was seen chilling with Lupita Nyong’o on the Janelle Monáe concert in Inglewood, California. The next day, Nyong’o announced on Instagram that she and her boyfriend, former ESPN commentator Selema Masekela, had broken up. Since then, Nyong’o and the “Queen & Slim” star’s estranged husband have been seen in public quite a few times.

After announcing their split, Nyong’o received an outpouring of support from fans and celebrities. Among the thoughtful messages was a comment by Marlon Wayans that read: “Trust God. He wants better for you. All lessons are a blessing, especially the painful ones. This too shall pass. The warmest of hugs. Be kind to yourself as you heal.”

He continued: “Every time I break up, I say, ‘I’m lucky, I CAN love again. I missed you. Make love, woman.

Jodie Turner Smith reacts to Lupita Nyong'o dating her ex-husband Joshua Jackson
Jodie Turner-Smith (right) recently had a surprising reaction to Lupita Nyong’o and Turner-Smith’s former partner Joshua Jackson emerging as a couple (left) a month after Turner-Smith filed for divorce last September. (Photos: @lupitanyongo/Instagram, @vancityjax/Instagram)

However, while stars like Wayans, Gabrielle Union, Ava DuVernay and Niecy Nash rallied behind Nyong’o, Turner-Smith remained relatively quiet about her personal life for essentially the most part. During a recent sit-down with The Cut, the actress was asked if she found it “weird” that her estranged husband was so quick to go public on a date.

“They were fine,” she said of her ex-husband dating Nyong’o. “We need happiness to co-parent peacefully. I’m trying to get us to the level of Gwyneth and Chris Martin. I really hope they are happy and that it benefits us as a family.”

As the primary couple navigates motherhood to their 4-year-old daughter, Juno, Turner-Smith said she’s willing to take steps forward to ensure her baby’s comfort.

“I just have to do everything I can to make sure Juno wins,” she emphasized, “and can peacefully co-parent with someone I once loved very, very much.”

This is not the primary time Turner-Smith has spoken out about her divorce. As she said in February 2024 interview with The Sunday Times Style magazine: “Sometimes the things we really want to work on just don’t work, and that’s okay.”

“The most important thing is that you choose what is healthiest for you and your family, and certainly for your children,” she continued.

The actress added: “The bravest thing in the world is to recognize when something isn’t working and take action. I always want to set this example for my daughter. The most important takeaway is that it’s about as much love and joy as ever. It’s just about taking a step forward towards a better life for everyone involved.”

As for Nyong’o, it looks like her recent relationship with Jackson continues to be going strong. They were each seen PDA packing in March in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, celebrating his birthday.

This article was originally published on : atlantablackstar.com
Continue Reading

Entertainment

Sean “Diddy” Combs returns the key to New York

Published

on

By

NEW YORK (AP) – Sean “Diddy” Combs turned in his key to New York City at the request of Mayor Eric Adams in response to the release of a video showing the music mogul attacking R&B singer Cassie, officials said Saturday.

The mayor’s office said Combs returned the key after Adams sent letters to the musician’s offices in New York and California on June 4, canceling the key and asking for it to be sent back to City Hall. The city received the key on June 10.

In his letter, Adams said he was “deeply concerned” by the attack, adding: “I strongly condemn these actions and stand in solidarity with all victims of domestic and gender-based violence.”

Combs’ profession was interrupted by multiple sexual abuse allegations, in addition to a federal sex trafficking investigation that led to raids on Combs’ residences in Los Angeles and Miami.

In May, CNN aired surveillance video showing Combs attacking Cassie in a Los Angeles hotel hallway in 2016. Combs said he was “truly sorry” for the attack on Cassie and called his actions “inexcusable.” Cassie, whose legal name is Cassandra Ventura, sued Combs last yr, setting off a wave of increased scrutiny of Combs. The case was settled the day after it was filed.

This photo provided by the New York City Mayor’s Office shows Mayor Eric Adams (left) presenting the Key to the City to hip-hop artist Sean “Diddy” Combs in New York City’s Times Square, Friday, September 15, 2023. (New York City Mayor’s Office/Caroline Rubinstein-Willis via via AP)

Adams presented Combs with the key during last yr’s ceremony, which coincided with the release of the latest album.

This month, Howard University rescinded an honorary doctorate degree awarded to Combs and ended a scholarship program named after him after the release of a video featuring Cassie.

Combs, founding father of Bad Boy Records, is considered one of the most influential hip-hop producers and executives of the last thirty years, turning musical success right into a business empire.

An email sent to a Combs representative listed online was not immediately returned.

Featured Stories

This article was originally published on : thegrio.com
Continue Reading
Advertisement

OUR NEWSLETTER

Subscribe Us To Receive Our Latest News Directly In Your Inbox!

We don’t spam! Read our privacy policy for more info.

Trending