google-site-verification=cXrcMGa94PjI5BEhkIFIyc9eZiIwZzNJc4mTXSXtGRM
Connect with us

Sports

Los Angeles Times writer apologizes for racist language towards LSU players

Published

on

L.A. Times, LSU


Writer for is regression after a recent article used sexist and racist descriptions of the LSU women’s basketball team. The team includes outstanding black female players reminiscent of Flau’jae Johnson and Angel Reese.

In an article written before LSU’s game against the UCLA Bruins on March 30, Ben Bolch described the highly anticipated game as “good versus evil.” The evil referred to the Tigers, led by Kim Mulkey, and their mostly Black unit.

The article was originally intended to be a response to the Washington Post’s controversial profile of Mulkey. However, he directed quite a few insults at girls from the collegiate school. While the Bruin players were described as having class, LSU were the “villains” of the sport. Instead of “America’s sweethearts” on the UCLA team, LSU had “dirty rookies” who were going to smash the nice nature of the sport.

The article quickly hit social media and was met with criticism. As the hypersexualization and denigration of Black women got here into full view, Bolch posted a “long overdue” apology on the X platform, formerly referred to as Twitter.

“It took me two days to write this apology because I wanted to respond as thoughtfully as possible to the situation I created… Words matter. As a journalist, no one should know this more than me. However, I failed miserably with my words,” Bolch said in an April 1 post.

He then admitted that misogyny and racism exist in his article and in society typically. However, he stressed that he didn’t intend to further inflame these hateful issues through his writing.

“Our society has had to deal with so many layers of misogyny, racism and negativity that I now understand why the words I used were wrong,” he wrote. “I didn’t mean to offend anyone, but I realize now that I seriously missed the point.”

Those most affected by his words, LSU’s black players, haven’t yet commented directly on the article.


This article was originally published on : www.blackenterprise.com
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

Ja Morant may argue that he was acting in self-defense in the lawsuit filed against him

Published

on

By

Ja Morant, Self-Defense, Lawsuit


In September 2022, a lawsuit was filed by a then-17-year-old teenager accusing Ja Morant of the Memphis Grizzlies of hitting him while the two were playing basketball at Morant’s parents’ home earlier that summer. The judge ruled that Morant hit the teenager that day in self-defense.

Shelby County Court District Judge Carol Chumney ruled v. Joshua Holloway, who filed a lawsuit against Morant after an altercation between the two at their Eads, Tennessee, home on July 26, 2022. She stated that the NBA player “enjoys the presumption of civil immunity,” citing Tennessee law since the self-defense issue was raised by an attorney Morant. Morant’s attorney said he first hit Holloway “to protect himself” from the teenager.

In her judgment, she wrote that “a prosecutor cannot, in principle, claim self-defense; when you start a fight, you ought to be able to stop it,” in keeping with Tennessee law. She said Holloway desired to wrestle while everyone else desired to play basketball.

The incident occurred at Morant’s home during a basketball game. The Memphis player stated that Holloway was frustrated that he had already lost several games and allegedly threw an aggressive one-handed pass at him while Morant was checking the basketball. He said the ball hit him on the left side of his face.

One sec testify on the witness stand in December 2023. Morant testified that after throwing the ball at him, he asked the teenager, “What do you mean?” Instead of responding, Holloway pulled up his shorts in what he assumed was an aggressive fighting stance.


This article was originally published on : www.blackenterprise.com
Continue Reading

Sports

OJ Simpson’s death draws scathing reactions from Caitlyn Jenner, family lawyer Ron Goldman and more just weeks after the NFL star disputed claims he was in hospice

Published

on

By

Fans are mourning the loss of OJ Simpson, who died at the age of 76 after battling cancer.

OJ Simpson, the former NFL star who made headlines after being acquitted of murder charges, died on April 10. He first rose to fame during his storied NFL profession, but his accomplishments pale in comparison to the attention his infamous murder trial generated.

Now, as news of his death spreads, Simpson is causing just as much controversy in the afterlife.

Fans are mourning the lack of OJ Simpson, who died at the age of 76 after battling cancer. (Image: Tim Ockenden – PA Images/PA Images via Getty Images)

Simpson was acquitted of brutally killing his ex-wife Nicole Brown Simpson and her friend Ron Goldman in 1995. On April 11, the Simpson family announced that the former football star had died in Las Vegas after a battle with cancer. He was 76 years old.

“On April 10, our father, Orenthal James Simpson, passed away while battling cancer,” the family wrote on X, the social media site formerly referred to as Twitter.

“He was surrounded by children and grandchildren. During this time of transition, his family asks that their wishes for privacy and grace be respected.”

Simpson previously denied reports that he was under hospice care. On February 9, he posted video about yourself in the driver’s seat of his automotive and made it clear that his prostate cancer had not progressed to the point where medical caregivers were simply attempting to alleviate his suffering.

“Hospice? Hospice? Are you talking about hospice? No, I’m not in any hospice,” Simpson said, laughing. “I don’t know who put that up.”

The 76-year-old added that he plans to ask “a lot of friends” to the Super Bowl party.

Just two days later, Simpson posted one other video in which he assured followers that he remained in “good health” despite his prostate cancer diagnosis.

“Thank you to all the people who contacted me. My health is good,” Simpson said on February 11 in his latest video post on social media.

Simpson has appeared repeatedly on the sports podcast “It Is What It Is,” which has featured hip-hop artist Cam’Ron in addition to rapper and ordained minister Mason “Ma$e” Betha. Simpson last appeared on the show on January 1. 22. During the show, he discussed quite a lot of topics, including the Buffalo Bills’ disappointing loss to the Kansas City Chiefs in the NFL playoffs.

“The match itself was great. I mean, it was a competitive match. It went back and forth, back and forth. I assumed each teams, and even the Bills, played well enough to win. – said Simpson.

Pro Football Hall of Fame president Jim Porter released a press release shortly after news of Simpson’s death broke.

“OJ Simpson was the first player to surpass the 2,000-yard mark, which many believed was impossible to achieve in a 14-game season. “His contributions on the field will be preserved in the Hall Archives in Canton, Ohio.”

But not all reactions to Simpson’s death were favorable. Caitlyn Jenner, who was previously married to Kris Jenner, learned of Simpson’s death on social media.

“Goodnight,” Jenner wrote.

Shortly after Jenner’s post, her comments were flooded with fans who got here to Simpson’s defense, and some even reminded Jenner that she was liable for someone’s death.

“You’re mad because he’s Khloe’s real daddy,” one X user said he was joking.

“I’m sure the family of the person you hit can’t WAIT to say the same about you,” one other commenter replied.

– said David Cook, a lawyer who represented Ron Goldman’s family in wrongful death civil lawsuits TMZ“OJ died without repentance,” adding that the Goldman family will proceed to come back for the judgment they’re owed for more than $70 million.

Gloria Allred, who represented Nicole Brown Simpson’s family during her murder trial, shared her thoughts in a press release released following the news of OJ’s death.

“My heart goes out to the children of OJ Simpson and the very brave family of Nicole Brown Simpson,” Allred said. “The truth about OJ Simpson can never be erased and should never be forgotten. OJ Simpson is dead. May his victims finally rest in peace.”

Marc Lamont Hill delivered a message to the community about treating Simpson like a martyr.

“OJ Simpson was a violent liar who abandoned his community long before he killed two people in cold blood. His acquittal of murder was the proper and crucial results of a racist criminal legal system. But he continues to be a monster, not a martyr,” he wrote on Twitter.

Simpson pleaded “100 percent not guilty” during his infamous murder trial, and his defense team included a variety of powerful lawyers, including civil rights attorney Johnnie Cochran, top defense attorneys F. Lee Bailey and Alan Dershowitz, and Barry’ Scheck’s ego.

Simpson’s longtime friend and lawyer, Robert Kardashian, also worked on the case as a member of the “Dream Team.” Both Kardashian and Simpson attended the University of Southern California. Robert is the father of Kim, Kourtney, Khloe and Rob Kardashian.

Simpson’s acquittal sparked a combination of shock and joy across the country. However, for several years after his acquittal, he began to fight. He was arrested in 2007 in reference to an armed robbery of a Las Vegas hotel room.

Simpson spent nine years in prison on charges of armed robbery and other crimes. In 2017, he was granted parole.

Simpson left behind 4 children from two marriages. He shared his two youngest children, Sydney and Justin, with Brown.

OJ Simpson’s death draws scathing reactions from Caitlyn Jenner, family lawyer Ron Goldman and more just weeks after the NFL star disputed claims he was in hospice


This article was originally published on : atlantablackstar.com
Continue Reading

Sports

Coaches: Automatic end-call offers could displace March Madness in half the majors

Published

on

By

Memories of winning the NCAA First Four Tournament at Grambling State University in Dayton, Ohio will ceaselessly be remembered by the men’s basketball head coach Don’t trust Jackson. This yr, Grambling entered the tournament for the first time in history, winning the Southwestern Athletic Conference tournament championship, a goal Jackson had been seven years in the making.

“Playing in the NCAA Tournament was an amazing feeling for me, the coaching staff, our players, our alumni and our institution,” Jackson told Andscape. “There is nothing like competing at the highest level and making it to the tournament.”

However, in March, the commissioner of the Southeastern Conference Greg Sankeyco-chair of the NCAA Division I Transformation Committee, which he previously advisable tournament expansionsuggested eliminating automatic qualifying, an idea of ​​the head men’s basketball coach at Michigan State University Tomek Izzo That’s right is value considering. However, many other coaches argue that implementing this proposal would have a negative impact on tournament participation for mid-major programs – reminiscent of those at historically black colleges and universities.

Currently, two HBCU athletic conferences in Division I basketball, the Southwestern Athletic Conference and the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference, receive automatic bids to the NCAA Tournament. Other mid-sized conferences with HBCU members, reminiscent of Coastal Sports Association (CAA) i Ohio Valley Conference (OVC), also receive automatic offers. In the last 10 years, no HBCU organization has received an at-large bid to the tournament.

In a tournament known for its Power Five dubs and middling matches David vs. Goliath gamesmany imagine the college basketball landscape will change if David isn’t any longer capable of compete.

“That is the beauty and magic of March. If we subtract that, we don’t have 12 (over) 5 upsets and 16 (over) 1 upset,” said Howard University men’s basketball head coach Kenneth Blakeneywhose team lost the match in the First Four v. Wagner College in this year’s tournament. “Two (mid-major) teams in the Final Four last year, that’s the beauty and magic of what makes March Madness March Madness. There are so many brackets that are thrown out the window and that can be a problem, but that’s what makes March special.”

Head women’s basketball coach at Jackson State University Thomas Reed will always remember the time her team got here near upsetting LSU in the first round of the 2022 NCAA Tournament.

“The NCAA Tournament brings prestige and honor to our program and gives us a different type of platform to showcase what being an HBCU is all about.…We get a lot of viewership because people know we’re going to compete with a chance to win,” Reed said. “Having adequate representation at the NCAA Tournament helps shine a positive light on our culture and our institution. We will show that we have now great coaches and great players.

Another post-season tournament, the so-called National Invitation Tournamenteliminated automatic bids for mid-major regular-season champions for the 2024 NIT and no HBCUs that may have mechanically qualified a season ago were chosen to participate. The Women’s National Invitation Tournament will still allow regular season champions to qualify; two HBCUs were chosen for this yr’s postseason tournament.

“Now the NCAA is trying to follow the NIT blueprint and layout by eliminating a lot of mid-major basketball teams,” he said LeVelle Moton, head men’s basketball coach at North Carolina Central University. “I can not imagine the NCAA Tournament without high schools. whether or not they are HBCUs or low-level majors. “In my opinion, I don’t think people want to see another tournament with all the Power Five schools.”

Moton has 4 MEAC tournaments under his belt Champions since he took over the team at his alma mater in 2009. After the Eagles’ first NCAA Tournament appearance in 2014Moton remembers the chancellor at the time Debra Saunders-White informing him that first-year enrollment for next yr was already filled.

“Our website has skyrocketed. People were calling saying, ‘Here it’s (basketball player). Sam Jones he went, didn’t he? “It’s been proven that the best teams in football and the best teams in basketball get (their) sign-ups through the windows every year,” Moton said.

This translates into higher athletic fees for college kids, Moton said.

“The economic impact of the tournament on the university is such that this type of marketing cannot be paid for,” he added. “It’s valued at probably $25 million.”

After earning his first NCAA Tournament berth as a head coach in 2023, the head women’s basketball coach at Norfolk State University Larry Vickers I saw that playing in the tournament opened the door to recruitment. The Spartans lost to South Carolina in the first round of the tournament, but received praise from the Gamecocks head coach Dawn Staley.

A couple of months later, North Carolina State University transferred Diamond Johnson, a former five-star recruit committed to play for the Spartans.

“So many people emailed from everywhere. “Hey coach, I’ve never heard of your program, but I like watching you play, I like your style of play.” Obviously basketball gives us that opportunity where there’s not a huge difference in scholarships and stuff like that, but I don’t think we’re going to be able to recruit as well right now,” Vickers said.

“We managed to get it Anjane Richardson, who was in the top five kids in our state. The freshman said, “This HBCU culture is for me and I want to stay closer to home.” Then we received Diamond Johnson. … But if we do not make it to the tournament, every top team will just have 15 amazing players waiting for his or her turn because everyone desires to play at this point.”

Head men’s basketball coach at Tennessee State University Brian Collins participated in the NCAA Tournament as a player, helping lead Belmont University to its first tournament in 2006. He also bid for the tournament as an assistant coach at East Tennessee State University in 2017.

Tennessee State is a member of the OVC and Collins realizes that eliminating mid-range offers may have a direct impact on his players.

“If you take that away, think about it, why are you playing then? What are you fighting for? It’s hard to put into words, but if you take that away, you take away the dreams of the student-athletes who have worked so hard,” Collins said. “We would never have heard about Steph Curry and what he did at Davidson. What Damian Lillard did at Weber State, Paul George at Fresno State, Ja Morant at Murray State. You would never see these guys on stage and they would show you that they are just as talented as the guys from North Carolina.”

The issue of eliminating automatic offers also caught the attention of the head men’s basketball coach at North Carolina State University Kevin Keatts, whose team reached the Final Four of this yr’s tournament. Keatts, who previously spent several seasons at the University of North Carolina Wilmington (UNCW) in the CAA, understands the struggles mid-major programs must undergo to qualify for the NCAA Tournament and the privilege that Power Five schools have.

The Wolfpack won Atlantic Coast Conference tournament, but he had below is the recording of the conference 0.500. However, Keatts’ program still earned a spot in the NCAA Tournament.

If Keatts was still working at UNCW, it won’t have earned him the pick.

“In my time at UNCW, I won 28 games, and if I didn’t win that championship game, I probably wasn’t going to the NCAA tournament, so I had to (win it),” Keatts said during the Final Four. “So I hope there are other opportunities (for mid-majors). … If we could expand the tournament — and I’m not saying expand it a little bit just to get the Power Fives to attract more teams — I would like to give some opportunities to the mid-majors as well.”

Retired women’s basketball coach at Hampton University David the Sixth led the Pirates to 6 NCAA Tournament berths. Despite advancing to the tournament multiple times, Six has advocated for another option for HBCUs: he believes the NCAA should create a separate mid-major tournament much like the FCS football playoffs.

“HBCUs have great coaches and great talent,” Six said. The point is that schools need to speculate in it. They need to put resources into it, and that’s difficult. HBCUs are helpful and great at what they do, but you understand, if someone is making $175 million from their athletic program, HBCUs haven’t any likelihood of competing.

“Every now and then people say, ‘Well, you know, we’ve had Cinderellas before,’ but there were a lot more (Power Five) winners than Cinderellas.”

However, given the NCAA Tournament’s long and storied history and the national support behind it, other coaches do not believe a separate tournament would have the same appeal.

“All brackets are the NCAA tournament. This is where everyone’s heart is, not only fans, coaches, players, but also consumers. That’s everyone. This is historic,” Moton said. “That’s why I don’t think starting your own business will have the same financial, economic or just emotional impact as it does now.”

This article was originally published on : andscape.com
Continue Reading
Advertisement

OUR NEWSLETTER

Subscribe Us To Receive Our Latest News Directly In Your Inbox!

We don’t spam! Read our privacy policy for more info.

Trending